The Pet Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fun, interactive and informative forum for all pet owners!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How To Stop Barking?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MyFrozenFriends♥
Infant
Infant
MyFrozenFriends♥

Pets : 2

How To Stop Barking? Empty
PostSubject: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 12:51 am

My dog Ana is an amazing dog, who I love very much. It's not her I don't like, just her behavior. Ana barks constantly in the house. We've tried telling her to stop and go to her place. We've tried many methods, but none of them are working. We even spent $80 on a device to stop her, but it only sometimes works. Any other methods to stop her barking for good?
Back to top Go down
WinterPlusOreo
WinterPlusOreo

Pets : 3

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 am

Hmmm... Is it from someone (walking by outside), Objects (Vacuum), etc?
Back to top Go down
MyFrozenFriends♥
Infant
Infant
MyFrozenFriends♥

Pets : 2

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:12 pm

WinterPlusOreo wrote:
Hmmm... Is it from someone (walking by outside), Objects (Vacuum), etc?
It's a lot of things. She wants to bark at everything, no matter what it is.
Back to top Go down
MrHelpful
Member Of The Month
Member Of The Month
MrHelpful

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptySun May 03, 2015 5:45 pm

While I always suggest getting help from a professional, this being a dog trainer, I believe my personal "RID KAT" method is a rather successful alternate. However, you must know that barking is natural and it is a rather complex duty to rid an instinct. 

Note: RID KAT is not in a specified order, please complete the list as you wish. 

Remove the Motivation: In most cases, Ana will receive some type of "reward" from her barking. By eliminating this motivation, Ana will typically stop the behaviour. You must find the source of the barking and remove it, do not give her the chance to bark. 

Example: If Ana barks at pedestrians outside of the window, simply close the blinds every time this behaviour begins.
Ignore Ana's Barking: Ignore Ana's barking until she stops, she only associates the attention with the barking, which to her, is a reward. This means you do not touch, pet, look, talk etc. to Ana until she halts the behaviour. When Ana finally discontinues the barking, even for a breath, reward her with a treat.

To be successful with this stage, you are required to wait as long as you need for her to discontinue the behaviour. If this is an hour, you must wait an hour. Do not get frustrated and scold her, as she will associate barking for longer with attention. 
Desensitize Ana to the Stimulus: Gradually get Ana accustomed to the barking, this may seem counter-effective, but I can reassure you that it is not. Start with the object that causes the barking (Or the stimulus) at a specified distance. This must be at a far enough radius that Ana is unable to see it. At this time, reward her with treats. Continue to move the stimulus to a closer location, approximately 1-2 feet closer. Proceed to reward her with a treat. If the stimulus is forcefully or voluntarily moved out of site, stop feeding her treats. The purpose of this stage is for Ana to associate the appearance of the stimulus, with treats!

Keep Ana Tired:  Ensure you play and keep Ana entertained. This will not only increase the bond between you two, and achieves required exercise, but will tucker her out, where she will no longer feel the need to bark and will simply be too tired. However, depending on her breed, the period of exercise may need to be increased.
Ask Ana to Perform an Incompatible Behaviour: When Ana begins barking, ask her to engage in something that is incompatible with barking. Teach Ana to react to the barking stimuli with an act that inhibits her from barking, such as instructing her to lay on her bed.

Example: 

• Toss a treat on her mat and instruct her to "go to your place."
  • When you feel she is ready, proceed to open the door while she is on the mat, if she gets up her begins to bark, close the door.
  • Repeat until she understands to stay on her mat while the door opens.
  • Increase the effectivity by instructing a friend to ring the bell, if she stays in position, reward her with treats. 

Teach Ana the "Quiet" Command: This stage must begin with the understanding of the "speak" command, this may seem nonsensical, however, it is effective. Instruct Ana to "speak", when she responds with 2-3 barks, reward her with a treat. Proceed to reward until she knows to bark when you say "speak." If this is not effective, try triggering the stimulus and when she begins to bark, say "speak" and reward her.  

When Ana can reliably "speak", you may begin the "quiet" process. Bring Ana to a quiet location and instruct her to speak, when she begins to bark, say "quiet", gift a treat in front of her nose. Praise her for being silent. 

Let me know how Ana's training works out Smile
Please PM me if more help is required.
Back to top Go down
mo
Infant
Infant
mo

Pets : 10

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptySun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I was about to ask this question as well! Thanks for the answer!
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator
Teeny

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? EmptyMon May 18, 2015 6:12 pm

MrHelpful wrote:
While I always suggest getting help from a professional, this being a dog trainer, I believe my personal "RID KAT" method is a rather successful alternate. However, you must know that barking is natural and it is a rather complex duty to rid an instinct. 

Note: RID KAT is not in a specified order, please complete the list as you wish. 

Remove the Motivation: In most cases, Ana will receive some type of "reward" from her barking. By eliminating this motivation, Ana will typically stop the behaviour. You must find the source of the barking and remove it, do not give her the chance to bark. 

Example: If Ana barks at pedestrians outside of the window, simply close the blinds every time this behaviour begins.
Ignore Ana's Barking: Ignore Ana's barking until she stops, she only associates the attention with the barking, which to her, is a reward. This means you do not touch, pet, look, talk etc. to Ana until she halts the behaviour. When Ana finally discontinues the barking, even for a breath, reward her with a treat.

To be successful with this stage, you are required to wait as long as you need for her to discontinue the behaviour. If this is an hour, you must wait an hour. Do not get frustrated and scold her, as she will associate barking for longer with attention. 
Desensitize Ana to the Stimulus: Gradually get Ana accustomed to the barking, this may seem counter-effective, but I can reassure you that it is not. Start with the object that causes the barking (Or the stimulus) at a specified distance. This must be at a far enough radius that Ana is unable to see it. At this time, reward her with treats. Continue to move the stimulus to a closer location, approximately 1-2 feet closer. Proceed to reward her with a treat. If the stimulus is forcefully or voluntarily moved out of site, stop feeding her treats. The purpose of this stage is for Ana to associate the appearance of the stimulus, with treats!

Keep Ana Tired:  Ensure you play and keep Ana entertained. This will not only increase the bond between you two, and achieves required exercise, but will tucker her out, where she will no longer feel the need to bark and will simply be too tired. However, depending on her breed, the period of exercise may need to be increased.
Ask Ana to Perform an Incompatible Behaviour: When Ana begins barking, ask her to engage in something that is incompatible with barking. Teach Ana to react to the barking stimuli with an act that inhibits her from barking, such as instructing her to lay on her bed.

Example: 

• Toss a treat on her mat and instruct her to "go to your place."
  • When you feel she is ready, proceed to open the door while she is on the mat, if she gets up her begins to bark, close the door.
  • Repeat until she understands to stay on her mat while the door opens.
  • Increase the effectivity by instructing a friend to ring the bell, if she stays in position, reward her with treats. 

Teach Ana the "Quiet" Command: This stage must begin with the understanding of the "speak" command, this may seem nonsensical, however, it is effective. Instruct Ana to "speak", when she responds with 2-3 barks, reward her with a treat. Proceed to reward until she knows to bark when you say "speak." If this is not effective, try triggering the stimulus and when she begins to bark, say "speak" and reward her.  

When Ana can reliably "speak", you may begin the "quiet" process. Bring Ana to a quiet location and instruct her to speak, when she begins to bark, say "quiet", gift a treat in front of her nose. Praise her for being silent. 

Let me know how Ana's training works out Smile
Please PM me if more help is required.

I agree with MrHelpful
Do not motivate her to bark. Try to stay away from teaching her the trick 'speak' as it will also encourage her barking.
Also when Ana is in a room try to avoid watching a Show or listening to a video with Barking or anything that will accosiate with her barking.
MrHelpful covered it all in his post Golden Retriver Hot Dog
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCak0eNHlqjwEaA5L7pVAsdQ?
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Stop Barking?   How To Stop Barking? Empty

Back to top Go down

How To Stop Barking?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pet Palace :: Dogs :: Dog Behaviour and Taming-
Jump to: