A fun, interactive and informative forum for all pet owners!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Carrot's Getting Old

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Teeny
Administrator

Pets : 3

PostSubject: Carrot's Getting Old   Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Carrot is my 8 - 9 year old cat. He is a mixed tabby. We don't know his age as he just came to us, from the street. We know 99% that he is a boy, but he has never been neutered. We have had him ever since we moved to England. Which is about 8 years. He has allways been 'fiesty'. He allways used to fight with cats so we had to keep him indoors and yet he allways managed to get out. He has 2 bauld spots since last week. but it is slowly growing back. He will only drink water out of the tap and I know this is becaues wild cats will usually only drink running water.
He is practically a wild cat

So, I know he is getting old, but he is starting to get weaker. Its harder for him to jump on surfaces, she sleeps more, and he is starting to get more soft hearted. By this I mean he is letting us pick him up, he is not biting and scratching as much. He doesent like to play but likes to tease my dog.

Is this normal for older cats? What toys can I buy to stimulate him? He is a bit on the chubby side.

Kiddy
Kiddy

Pets : 5

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:46 pm

You should PM MrHelpful
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm

@PuppyPrism wrote:
You should PM MrHelpful
Its not really urgent, I'll PM him if the bald spots come back, which i doubt they will as they are probably from a scruff with a different cat.

Member Of The Month
Member Of The Month

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:38 am

Is Carrot having issues jumping onto higher surfaces or just overall mobility issues? This could be due to the development of arthritis, which is very common in senior cats.

You mentioned that Carrot has slowly become more lethargic, because of this, there is the high chance of him developing obesity and other related illnesses.

Due to all these new and extra precautions, I recommend you schedule regular appointments with your veterinarian. (Ask for a body condition evaluation).

Try switching his daily food to a mixture that contains additional proteins and other factors to keep his body rate at an ideal state. (Look for DHA and EPA fatty acids in the mixture which can help with mobility issues)

Another common issue I see in senior cats is the growing rate of decay and rot located in the cat's maxillary and mandibular, therefore I recommend paying extra attention to Carrots mouth.

As for stimulation, interactive toys, food puzzles (particularly for overweight cats), even carefully supervised access outdoors by the use of "catios" can help keep senior cats keep entertained as benefit their joints and maintain a healthy weight.

To keep Carrot as comfortable as possible, I recommend providing softer bedding for Carrot, either with a specialized cat bed or with generic blankets and towels to nap, sleep or rest on, Be sure that food and water are easily accessible, if a diagnoses for arthritis is possible, we do not want to stress Carrot out by forcing her to climb up and down stairs to access her necessities.

Please PM if more help is required.
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:12 pm

@MrHelpful wrote:
Is Carrot having issues jumping onto higher surfaces or just overall mobility issues? This could be due to the development of arthritis, which is very common in senior cats.

You mentioned that Carrot has slowly become more lethargic, because of this, there is the high chance of him developing obesity and other related illnesses.

Due to all these new and extra precautions, I recommend you schedule regular appointments with your veterinarian. (Ask for a body condition evaluation).

Try switching his daily food to a mixture that contains additional proteins and other factors to keep his body rate at an ideal state. (Look for DHA and EPA fatty acids in the mixture which can help with mobility issues)

Another common issue I see in senior cats is the growing rate of decay and rot located in the cat's maxillary and mandibular, therefore I recommend paying extra attention to Carrots mouth.

As for stimulation, interactive toys, food puzzles (particularly for overweight cats), even carefully supervised access outdoors by the use of "catios" can help keep senior cats keep entertained as benefit their joints and maintain a healthy weight.

To keep Carrot as comfortable as possible, I recommend providing softer bedding for Carrot, either with a specialized cat bed or with generic blankets and towels to nap, sleep or rest on, Be sure that food and water are easily accessible, if a diagnoses for arthritis is possible, we do not want to stress Carrot out by forcing her to climb up and down stairs to access her necessities.

Please PM if more help is required.
With the jumping part I mean his co-ordination is off, So when he jumps he usually has to try a few Times. What do you mean as Lethargic?
Carrot's teeth look fine, but they are really sharp. They have a yellow tint to them but other than that its all fine. Also I forgot to add, he is ginger but he has black patches on his nose and gums. He's had it forever though.
Spoiler:

Carrot is an out door cat allready but I will buy him some toys as you said.
He sleeps on my bed weather i buy him beds or put down comforable blankets Hamster His food and water are allready down the stairs. Smile

Last edited by Teeny on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCak0eNHlqjwEaA5L7pVAsdQ?
MrHelpful
Member Of The Month
Member Of The Month

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:21 am

@Teeny wrote:

With the jumping part I mean his co-ordination is off, So when he jumps he usually has to try a few Times. What do you mean as Lethargic?
Carrot's teeth look fine, but they are really sharp. They have a yellow tint to them but other than that its all fine. Also I forgot to add, he is ginger but he has black patches on his nose and gums. He's had it forever though.
Carrot is an out door cat allready but I will buy him some toys as you said.
He sleeps on my bed weather i buy him beds or put down comforable blankets Hamster His food and water are allready down the stairs. Smile

When I say lethargic I am referring to the calmer behaviour, slower movement and overall "tired" or "sleepy" actions.
Where does Carrot spend most of his time, where your bed is, or where his food and water source is?
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:11 pm

My bed is up stairs, but he climbs up the rail. His water is downstairs and food also. I don't know where he is most of the time but he is usullly outside,

PostSubject: Re: Carrot's Getting Old   

Back to top Go down

Carrot's Getting Old
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pet Palace :: Cats :: Cat General Care & Health-
Jump to: