The Pet Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fun, interactive and informative forum for all pet owners!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PuppyPrism
Kiddy
Kiddy
PuppyPrism

Pets : 5

My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  Empty
PostSubject: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:30 am

afro My puppy, Diamond, was just adopted a week ago and she keeps chewing on the wood! How do I prevent this? She's teething!
Back to top Go down
erinspets
Admin
Admin
erinspets

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 am

I love puppies! So cute but so naughty...
My dogs used to do this too. Trying to train them and saying no when they do it will take time but eventually it will work. There are also some sprays that you can buy at the pet stores that you put on what your dog chews and it tastes bad so they don't try to chew it anymore. Get her a bunch of toys to keep her busy, and love and play with her a whole bunch! She will learn with time (:
Congrats on Diamond!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCak0eNHlqjwEaA5L7pVAsdQ?
PuppyPrism
Kiddy
Kiddy
PuppyPrism

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 am

Thank you! Would lemon juice work?
Back to top Go down
erinspets
Admin
Admin
erinspets

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 2:35 am

PuppyPrism wrote:
Thank you! Would lemon juice work?

I would do a little research just incase but I'm almost positive that would be perfectly fine Smile
Back to top Go down
MrHelpful
Member Of The Month
Member Of The Month
MrHelpful

Pets : 3

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 5:17 am

Hi PuppyPrism!

THE FIVE E'S

1. Ensure this behaviour is not brought on by a medical illness, such as nutritional deficiencies, gastrointestinal problems or intestinal parasitism. (Check up with vet)

2. Ensure all household chemicals, potentially toxic plants, wires and cords and other valuables are out of the puppies reach. Make sure to block off any rooms or regions that have not been puppy-proofed

3. Ensure Diamond has enough stimulation and chew toys. Stay clear of rawhide bones and chicken bones as they can get lodged in the esophagus.

4. Ensure Diamond has received an adequate punishment. Start by taking the object away, scolding and transitioning her attention to an appropriate chew toy, reward when Diamond is distracted by the chew toy.

5. Ensure you play and keep Diamond entertained. This will not only increase the bond between the two, and achieves required exercise, but will tucker her out, where she will no longer feel the need to chew and will simply be too tired.

Please PM me if you have any more questions and keep us updated on the progress.

As for the lemon juice,
That will burn her mouth and she will simply be put in more pain. If none of my suggestions work, please PM me for further help.

Last edited by MrHelpful on Sun May 03, 2015 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator
Teeny

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:55 pm

My dog, Baster, used to do this all the time. As stated by MrHelpful, don't put lemon juice on it. Does she do this at night? This could be of bordom or it could just be that she is teething.
There are good Kong toys at most stores and have most hardness's. For Diamond, the 'Teething Kong' or the 'Puppy Kong' would work well to both distract her from the furniture. Is the furniture next to anything that is used to hold or cook food? If the furniture is next to an oven or fridge, Diamond could just want whatever is in the fridge or being cooked.
I hope this helped. Smile
Back to top Go down
erinspets
Admin
Admin
erinspets

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 pm

I never knew that about lemon juice, thank you guys!
Back to top Go down
Teeny
Administrator
Teeny

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Oh and she might be stressed out, you only got her a week ago and she probably misses her family. Give her some time. Smile flower
Back to top Go down
PuppyPrism
Kiddy
Kiddy
PuppyPrism

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks guys! I'll do the Five Insure's like MrHelpful said... but I'll be a bit easier on her since she might get stressed...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!    My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!  Empty

Back to top Go down

My puppy keeps biting our wooden furniture!
Page 1 of 1