The Pet Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fun, interactive and informative forum for all pet owners!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Frog is very lethargic

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Frogs&Dogs
Infant
Infant
Frogs&Dogs

Frog is very lethargic  Empty
PostSubject: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 5:58 am

Hi, you have a very nice forum

My concern is that my meadow frog is very slow and doesn't move much. All he does is sit in water... He has a 10gallon tank. He's always been like this. He doesn't croak much either... He might be a girl....  HELP!
Back to top Go down
Michaela
Michaela

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 am

Hi there ^-^ I'm no frog expert and because you seem to be the only frog lover so far on the forum (congrats btw) I suggest going to the vet and checking for any sickness and check the gender of your frog.

I hope I helped Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HelloHamster
Creator/Founder
Creator/Founder
HelloHamster

Pets : 2

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi there, I myself own a Northern Green Frog, this lethargic behaviour is very common in captivity, since there are no real predators, and their prey is hand fed to them, so they will rarely scrounge for food. They truly feel no need to jump about. However, if you feel like the problem has gotten worse or is simply something else, I recommend you get in touch with your local veterinarian. As for the gender, does your frog croak at night? This is one way to see, but when observing the frogs eardrums, if it is found that the frog's eyes are smaller then the drum, then, you have yourself a female! However, if the ear drums are bigger, you have a male. If you have difficulty reading or understanding the eardrum comparison, link me a photo, and I would be glad to decipher!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepetpalace.ga
Frogs&Dogs
Infant
Infant
Frogs&Dogs

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 2:26 pm

HelloHamster wrote:
Hi there, I myself own a Northern Green Frog, this lethargic behaviour is very common in captivity, since there are no real predators, and their prey is hand fed to them, so they will rarely scrounge for food. They truly feel no need to jump about. However, if you feel like the problem has gotten worse or is simply something else, I recommend you get in touch with your local veterinarian. As for the gender, does your frog croak at night? This is one way to see, but when observing the frogs eardrums, if it  is found that the frog's eyes are smaller then the drum, then, you have yourself a female! However, if the ear drums are bigger, you have a male. If you have difficulty reading or understanding the eardrum comparison, link me a photo, and I would be glad to decipher!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!

Thanks HelloHamster, she is actually a girl! And all your answers really help! My dad said we should take her to the vet anyway, just to be sure! I'll keep you updated!
Back to top Go down
HelloHamster
Creator/Founder
Creator/Founder
HelloHamster

Pets : 2

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:06 am

Thank you! Hope to hear from you soon! Best of luck with you and your frog!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepetpalace.ga
Frogs&Dogs
Infant
Infant
Frogs&Dogs

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks! Turns out you were right! The vet said that's just her new "Captivity Personality"! Ella (my frog) and I thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frog is very lethargic    Frog is very lethargic  Empty

Back to top Go down

Frog is very lethargic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pet Palace :: Amphibians :: Amphibian Ailments and Injuries-
Jump to: